Indoor air pollution is a significant concern, as it can be more polluted than outdoor air, affecting the quality of the air inside your home. For people with allergies, air purifiers equipped with high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters can help reduce airborne allergens and provide some relief. In this article, we will explore how air purifiers work for allergies, their benefits, how to choose the best air purifier for allergies, and tips for maintaining and caring for your air purifier.
How Air Purifiers Work for Allergies
Air purifiers work by forcing air through a fine mesh filter, such as a HEPA filter, which traps harmful particles like pollen, pet dander, dust mites, and mold spores. These devices can be portable, designed for a single room, or integrated into a central heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system for whole-house filtration. The effectiveness of air purifiers in reducing allergy symptoms depends on factors such as the type of filter used, the size of the room, and the duration of use.
Top Air Purifiers for Allergies
Air purifiers can be a valuable tool for those suffering from allergies, as they can help reduce the presence of allergens such as pollen, pet dander, and mold spores in the air. Here are some of the top air purifiers for allergies, based on various sources:
|Air Purifier Model||Pros||Cons||Room Coverage||Dimensions||Weight||Filter Types|
|Levoit Core 300||Efficient 3-stage filtration, compact and portable design, affordable price, quiet operation at lower fan speeds||Limited coverage area (up to 219 sq. ft.), lacks advanced Features||219 sq. ft.||8.7″ x 8.7″ x 14.2″||7.5 lbs||Pre-filter, H13 True HEPA, Activated Carbon|
|Honeywell HPA100||Captures up to 99.97% of airborne allergens and particles, activated carbon pre-filter, circulates and filters room air up to 4.8 times per hour in a 155 sq. ft room, easy to use touch controls, silent operation, Energy Star certified||Struggles with strong odors, design may not fit into modern decor, requires regular filter replacement||155 sq. ft.||13.54″ x 8.9″ x 13.94″||7.74 lbs||Pre-filter, True HEPA|
|Coway Airmega AP-1512HH||Efficient air purification with high CADR scores, energy-saving, easy to set up and use, compact size, air quality indicator light and auto mode||Noise level can be high at maximum setting, replacement filters can be expensive, design may not appeal to everyone||361 sq. ft.||16.8″ x 18.3″ x 9.6″||12.3 lbs||Pre-filter, Carbon filter, True HEPA|
|Dyson Pure Cool Link TP02||Excellent air purification performance, energy-saving and low power consumption, user-friendly interface and easy setup, compact size and portability, air quality indicator light and auto mode||Loud noise at maximum setting, expensive replacement filters, design may not appeal to everyone||Large spaces||7.7″ x 40″||N/A||HEPA|
|Bissell MyAir Tabletop||Efficient 3-in-1 filtration, compact and portable design, affordable price, quiet operation at lower fan speeds||Limited coverage area (up to 100 sq. ft.), lacks advanced Features, noisy at higher fan speeds||100 sq. ft.||N/A||N/A||HEPA, Activated Carbon, Pre-filter|
|Molekule Air Pro||Sleek and quiet design, advanced PECO HEPA Tri-Power filter, easy to set up and control with app, offers enterprise-grade support, excellent purification performance, covers up to 1,000 sq. ft.||High price point, frequent filter replacement, no custom scheduling options in the app||1,000 sq. ft.||N/A||N/A||PECO HEPA Tri-Power|
|Blueair 411a Max||Designed for allergies and asthma, compact and lightweight, exceptional air cleaning performance, uses proprietary HEPASilent™ technology||Lacks carrying handles, simplistic controls, lacks air quality sensor, struggles with strong odors||326 sq. ft.||16.7″ x 8″ x 8″||5.3 lbs||Pre-filter, Carbon filter, True HEPA|
|Dreo Air Purifier for Bedroom||Quiet operation, effective allergen removal||Loud fan noise, plastic smell in purified air||283 sq. ft.||9.84″ x 9.84″ x 15.2″||7.3 lbs||Pre-filter, H13 True HEPA, Activated Carbon|
|RabbitAir MinusA2||More filters than most other air purifiers, good performance in energy efficiency and noise output, smart functionality, all control panel lights can be turned off||High price, all filters need to be replaced, adds to long-term cost of ownership||815 sq. ft.||N/A||N/A||Pre-filter, Deodorization filter, True HEPA, Customized filter|
|Levoit Core 400S||Efficient 3-stage filtration, suitable for medium-sized rooms up to 403 sq. ft., quiet operation, smart controls via VeSync app, real-time air quality monitoring||Some users report issues with VeSync app’s reliability, bulkier design compared to some other models||403 sq. ft.||10.8″ x 10.8″ x 20.5″||10.5 lbs||Pre-filter, H13 True HEPA, Activated Carbon|
Levoit Core 300 Air Purifier
The Levoit Core 300 Air Purifier is a standout choice for those seeking a balance between performance and affordability. With its large coverage area, it’s capable of purifying the air in sizable rooms, making it a versatile addition to any home. Plus, its quiet operation ensures it won’t disrupt your daily activities or sleep.
- Large coverage area suitable for various room sizes
- Quiet operation for minimal disturbance
- Excellent performance in air purification
- Affordable price point
- May require frequent filter changes depending on usage
- Not as feature-rich as some higher-end models
- Filter Type: HEPA
- Noise Level: Quiet
- Coverage Area: Large
- Price: Affordable
Remember, the Levoit Core 300 Air Purifier is a tool to enhance your home’s air quality, providing a cleaner, healthier environment for you and your family.
Honeywell HPA100 True HEPA Allergen Remover
The Honeywell HPA100 True HEPA Allergen Remover is a budget-friendly air purifier that doesn’t compromise on performance. It’s particularly effective at removing allergens from the air, making it a popular choice for allergy sufferers.
- Captures up to 99.97% of airborne allergens and particles
- Activated carbon pre-filter reduces odors and VOCs
- Circulates and filters room air up to 4.8 times per hour in a 155 sq. ft room
- Easy to use touch controls and silent operation
- Energy Star certified for efficiency
- Struggles with removing strong odors, such as cigarette smoke or cooking smells
- Design may not fit into modern decor
- Requires regular filter replacement
- Room Size: Medium Room Air Purifier (155 sq. ft.)
- Product Dimensions: 13.54 x 8.9 x 13.94 in
- Product Weight: 7.74 lbs
- Warranty: 5 Year Limited Warranty
Remember, for optimal performance, use only genuine and certified Honeywell replacement filters.
Coway Airmega AP-1512HH
The Coway Airmega AP-1512HH is a compact yet powerful air purifier that’s perfect for rooms up to 361 square feet. It’s known for its impressive CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) scores, making it a reliable choice for allergen removal.
- Efficient air purification with high CADR scores
- Energy-saving with low power consumption
- Easy to set up and use with a user-friendly interface
- Compact size, easy to move around
- Air quality indicator light and auto mode for convenience
- Noise level can be high at maximum setting
- Replacement filters can be expensive
- Design may not appeal to everyone
- Size: 16.8 x 18.3 x 9.6 inches
- Weight: 12.3 pounds
- Filters: Pre-filter, Carbon filter, True Hepa
- CADR (smoke/dust/pollen): 247.5/232.3/241.3
- Speeds: Three speeds, auto and eco modes
- Noise level (db): 36.8/58.3
- Energy use: 0.082 kWh in 24 hours
- Warranty: Three years from date of purchase
In a nutshell, the Coway Airmega AP-1512HH is a solid choice for those seeking an affordable, effective air purifier. Its compact size and high performance make it a standout in its price range.
Dyson Pure Cool Link TP02
The Dyson Pure Cool Link TP02 is a high-end air purifier that offers excellent performance and a range of Features. Here’s a quick rundown of its pros and cons:
- Excellent air purification performance: The TP02 uses HEPA filtration to purify the air, reducing PM2.5 and PM10 to as low as 0.2, and AQI to 0 within an hour.
- Energy-saving and low power consumption: The TP02 uses a motor of 56W, which isn’t too powerful but still provides excellent performance.
- User-friendly interface and easy setup: The TP02 is easy to use via Dyson’s auto mode, remote control, and Dyson Link App.
- Compact size and portability: The TP02 is a tall and slender purifier, allowing you to easily tuck it in a corner of the room.
- Convenient air quality indicator light and auto mode: The TP02 has an air quality sensor that continuously monitors indoor air quality. This sensor works in combination with the auto mode and MyDyson smart app.
- Loud noise at maximum setting: The sound level at max flow rate is 63 dB(A).
- Expensive replacement filters: The Dyson TP02 could be a bit cheaper for maintenance.
- Design may not appeal to everyone: The TP02 uses a tall slender design with a large open amplifier on top of the unit.
- Dimensions: 7.7″ x 40″
- Filter: HEPA
- Max Airflow: 411 liters / second
- Oscillation: 180°
This air purifier is a great choice for large spaces. It’s a bit pricier, but considering the performance, quality, and usability, it’s still a solid choice.
Bissell MyAir Tabletop Air Purifier
The Bissell MyAir Tabletop Air Purifier is a compact and affordable option, perfect for small spaces like bedrooms or offices. Here’s a quick rundown of its pros and cons:
- Efficient 3-in-1 filtration: HEPA, activated carbon, and pre-filter
- Compact and portable design
- Affordable price
- Quiet operation at lower fan speeds
- Limited coverage area (up to 100 sq. ft.)
- Lacks advanced Features
- Noisy at higher fan speeds
This air purifier is a great choice for those looking for a budget-friendly option for small spaces. Its efficient filtration system and compact design make it a convenient addition to any room.
Molekule Air Pro
The Molekule Air Pro is a high-end air purifier that offers advanced Features and excellent performance. It’s a good choice if you’re willing to invest in a top-of-the-line air purifier.
- Sleek and quiet design that adds aesthetic value to your space.
- Advanced PECO HEPA Tri-Power filter that captures harmful pollutants and destroys them.
- Easy to set up and control with an app that tracks your air history and daily air-quality ratings.
- Offers enterprise-grade support and is suitable for both homes and offices.
- Excellent purification performance reducing PM2.5 and PM10 to 0.1.
- Comes with a vegan leather handle for easy portability.
- Covers up to 1,000 sq. ft., making it suitable for large rooms.
- The price point is high, hovering at about $1,000.
- Filter replacement is more frequent than a standard HEPA filter.
- No custom scheduling options in the app.
- Room size coverage: Up to 1000 sq ft with average 8-ft ceilings.
- Detection: Particulate matter (PM1, PM2.5, PM10) down to 0.3 µm, VOCs, CO2, relative humidity.
- 2 Auto Protect modes react to particles & VOCs.
- Advanced protection captures small particles with 99.97% efficiency and destroys organic pollutants.
- 360° air intake.
- Connects to the Molekule app for tracking air quality.
Molekule Air Pro is a powerful and efficient air purifier that offers a range of advanced Features. However, it comes with a high price tag and requires frequent filter replacement.
Blueair 411a Max
The Blueair 411a Max is a compact and efficient air purifier designed to alleviate allergies and asthma. Here’s a quick rundown of its pros and cons:
- Specifically designed for allergies and asthma
- Compact and lightweight, making it easy to move around
- Exceptional air cleaning performance, removing 99.72% of particulate matter
- Uses proprietary HEPASilent™ technology to capture at least 99.97% of airborne particles
- Quiet operation, producing only 53 decibels at its highest fan speed
- Easy to set up, with less than five minutes required from unboxing to turning it on
- Cost-effective, with annual operating costs well below the class average
- Lacks carrying handles, although its compact size and lightweight design make this less of an issue
- Controls are simplistic, with just low, medium, and high-speed settings
- Lacks an air quality sensor, which is present on some competing models
- While it excels at removing particulate matter, it struggles with reducing strong odors
- Dimensions: 16.7″ x 8″ x 8″
- Weight: 5.3 pounds
- Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR): 105 (Smoke), 120 (Dust), and 120 (Pollen)
- Noise Level: 53 decibels at highest fan speed
- Energy Consumption: 20 W
Remember, the Blueair 411a Max is best suited for smaller spaces. It’s a high-performance, cost-effective solution for those looking to improve air quality in their homes or offices.
Dreo Air Purifier for Bedroom
Experience the tranquility of a serene bedroom with the Dreo Air Purifier. This device is a silent guardian, operating quietly while effectively removing allergens from your space. However, it’s not all smooth sailing. While it does a great job at allergen removal, it has a few quirks. The fan can get a bit loud, and some users have reported a plastic smell in the purified air.
- Quiet operation
- Effective allergen removal
- Loud fan noise
- Plastic smell in purified air
- Noise Level: 20-54 dB
- Dimensions: 9.84 x 9.84 x 15.2 in
- Weight: 7.3 lb
- Effective Range: 283 ft²
Dreo Air Purifier for Bedroom is a solid choice for those seeking a peaceful, allergen-free sleep environment. However, be prepared for a bit of noise and a potential plastic smell.
RabbitAir MinusA2 Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifier (Pet Allergy)
The RabbitAir MinusA2 Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifier (Pet Allergy) is a high-performing air purifier designed with pet owners in mind. Here’s a quick rundown of its pros and cons:
- More filters than most other air purifiers, capturing more particles and gases on the first pass.
- Good performance in energy efficiency and noise output.
- Smart functionality allows the unit to be controlled wirelessly via an app.
- All control panel lights can be turned off.
- Very well made, with design choices that increase the unit’s longevity.
- 5-year warranty, longer than most other air purifier warranties.
- Traps allergens and particles 0.3 microns in size at 99.97% efficiency.
- Can either stand alone or be mounted on the wall.
- Room coverage up to 815 sq. ft.
- Its price – lower CFM than top-rated units but still retails for more than 4x the price.
- All those filters need to be replaced – adds to long term cost of ownership.
- Replacement filter set costs upwards of $90 to $100.
- Particle filter type: HEPA
- Gas filter type: Carbon
- Noise Level: 25.6 dB – 51.3 dB
- Fan Speed: up to 218 CFM
- Number of Fan Speeds: 5 speeds
- Input voltage: 120V/ 60Hz
- Room coverage: 815 Sqft (2 ACH)
- Allergy sufferer coverage: 408 sq. ft.(4 ACH)
- Filters lifespan (24 hr usage): 12 months
- CADR: 200 (pollen), 193 (dust), 180 (smoke)
This air purifier is a great choice for pet owners, but it’s important to consider the long-term costs associated with filter replacements.
Levoit Core 400S
The Levoit Core 400S is an affordable air purifier designed to help with allergies and provide efficient air purification. Here’s a quick rundown of its pros and cons:
- Efficient 3-stage filtration: Pre-filter, H13 True HEPA filter, and activated carbon filter
- Suitable for medium-sized rooms up to 403 sq. ft
- Quiet operation with noise levels between 24-52 dB
- Smart controls via VeSync app, compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
- Real-time air quality monitoring
- Some users report issues with the VeSync app’s reliability
- Bulkier design compared to some other models
- Room size coverage: Up to 403 sq. ft
- Dimensions: 10.8″ x 10.8″ x 20.5″
- Weight: 11 lbs
- Noise Level: 24-52 dB
- Filter life: Approximately 6 months
- Warranty: 2 years with registration
The Levoit Core 400S is a solid choice for those looking for an affordable air purifier with smart Features and efficient performance. However, be aware of potential issues with the VeSync app’s reliability.
When choosing an air purifier, consider factors such as the square footage of the space you want to purify, filtration levels, noise, size of the purifier itself, and your budget. Also, ensure the purifier has a HEPA filter, as these are generally capable of filtering out 99.97% of pollutants with a size of .3 microns or greater.
Benefits of Air Purifiers for Allergies
1. Reduced Airborne Allergens
Air purifiers with HEPA filters can effectively remove up to 99.97% of dust, pollen, and other airborne particles with a size of 0.3 microns, helping to eliminate common allergens such as pet dander and mold spores. By capturing these allergens, air purifiers can help reduce allergy symptoms and provide relief for those affected.
2. Improved Respiratory Health
Air purifiers can lead to improvements in allergy and asthma symptoms, as well as overall respiratory health. By removing allergens and irritants from the air, air purifiers can help improve lung function and reduce the risk of respiratory issues such as asthma and allergies.
3. Enhanced Sleep Quality
Air purifiers can help improve sleep quality by reducing allergens and irritants in the bedroom, leading to fewer nighttime allergy symptoms. Cleaner air in the sleeping environment can result in better sleep, which is essential for overall health and well-being.
In conclusion, air purifiers with HEPA filters can provide significant benefits for individuals with allergies by reducing airborne allergens in the home. By choosing the right air purifier for your needs and maintaining it properly, you can enjoy cleaner air and potentially experience relief from allergy symptoms.
Choosing the Best Air Purifier for Allergies
When selecting an air purifier for allergies, consider the following factors:
1. Filter type
Look for air purifiers with HEPA filters, as they are most effective at capturing allergens. HEPA filters can remove up to 99.97% of dust, pollen, and other airborne particles with a size of 0.3 microns, helping to eliminate common allergens such as pet dander and mold spores.
2. Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR)
Choose an air purifier with a CADR that matches the size of the room where you plan to use it. CADR measures how effectively the device can remove specific irritants like dust, pollen, and smoke from the air. The higher the CADR, the faster and more efficient the air purifier is.
3. Coverage area
Ensure the air purifier is suitable for the size of the room you want to purify. Measure your room size to find the square footage and look for a CADR rating that is about two-thirds of that number. This will help you determine if a given air purifier will work for your room.
4. Noise level
Some air purifiers can be noisy, so consider the noise level if you plan to use the device in your bedroom or other quiet spaces. Look for models with a noise rating around 50 decibels or lower, which is roughly equal to the hum of a refrigerator.
Ensure that replacement filters are readily available and affordable, as regular filter changes are necessary for optimal performance. Check the manufacturer’s recommendations for filter replacement intervals and replace filters as needed to maintain optimal performance.
By considering these factors, you can choose the best air purifier for allergies that will effectively reduce airborne allergens in your home, providing relief from allergy symptoms and improving your overall indoor air quality.
Regular filter replacement is crucial for maintaining the performance of your air purifier. The filters trap and hold allergens and other particles, and over time, they can become saturated and less effective. Check the manufacturer’s recommendations for filter replacement intervals and replace filters as needed. Some models may have a filter indicator light that alerts you when it’s time to change the filter.
2. Clean Pre-Filters
Some air purifiers have washable pre-filters that capture larger particles before they reach the main filter. Regularly cleaning these pre-filters can extend the life of the main filter and improve the overall performance of the air purifier. Check the user manual for instructions on how to clean the pre-filter.
3. Keep the Air Purifier Clean
Keeping the exterior of the air purifier clean can prevent dust buildup and ensure optimal operation. Dust and wipe down the exterior of the air purifier regularly. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that could damage the unit.
4. Position the Air Purifier Correctly
The location of the air purifier can affect its performance. Place the air purifier in a location where it can effectively circulate air, avoiding obstructions such as furniture or walls. For best results, position the air purifier at least a few feet away from walls and other large objects.
5. Regular Maintenance Checks
Perform regular maintenance checks on your air purifier to ensure it’s working correctly. Listen for unusual noises, check for any warning lights, and monitor the air quality in your home. If you notice any issues, consult the user manual or contact the manufacturer for assistance.
By following these maintenance and care tips, you can ensure that your air purifier continues to effectively reduce allergens in your home, providing relief from allergy symptoms and improving your overall indoor air quality.
In conclusion, air purifiers with HEPA filters can be an effective tool in managing allergies by reducing airborne allergens in your home. By choosing the right air purifier for your needs and maintaining it properly, you can enjoy cleaner air and potentially experience relief from allergy symptoms.