Cigarette smoke can be harmful to our health, but it also leaves behind a persistent and unpleasant odor that can cling to clothes, furniture, and even walls. Fortunately, air purifiers can help eliminate cigarette smoke and its associated odors from our indoor environments. In this article, we will take a look at the best air purifiers for cigarette smoke in 2023.
What to Look for in an Air Purifier for Cigarette Smoke
When selecting an air purifier specifically for cigarette smoke, there are several key factors to consider:
- Filtration System: Look for an air purifier with a powerful filtration system that is capable of capturing tiny particles like tobacco smoke.
- Carbon Filters: Activated carbon filters are particularly effective at removing odors from cigarette smoke.
- HEPA Filters: A high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter removes microscopic particles like tobacco smoke by trapping them inside the filter as they pass through.
- CADR Rating: The Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) measures how quickly an air cleaner filters the room’s internal volume of pollutants, such as those found in cigarette smoking. Opting for higher ratings reduces more toxins faster than lower-rated models.
- Room Size Coverage: Check the manufacturer’s specifications to ensure that the unit has adequate coverage to handle your specific room size.
Our Top Picks
After thorough research and testing of various models available on the market currently, here are our top picks:
|Features||Coway AP1512HH Mighty Air Purifier||Airmega 400S Air Purifier||Winix HR900 Ultimate Pet True HEPA Air Purifier|
|Coverage Area||361 sq. ft||1,560 sq. ft||AHAM Verified for 300 square feet capacity|
|Filtration System||4-Stage Filtration: Pre-filter, Deodorization filter, True HEPA filter, Vital Ion||3-Stage filtration||5-Stage air purification|
|Air Quality Monitoring||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Energy Efficiency||Eco Mode||CFM/watt ratio||Energy Star Certified|
|Noise Level||Quiet Operation||Quieter than a whisper at low setting at 22 dB (up to 52 dB)||Ultra-Quiet: Nearly silent on slowest speed (27dB)|
|Pros||Powerful 4-Stage Filtration, Filter Alerts, Energy-Efficient Eco Mode, Auto Mode, Real-time air quality monitoring, Timer Settings, Quiet Operation, Convenient, Washable Pre-Filter||True HEPA H13 Filter, Monitor and manage the air in your home, Activate pure air in a single breath with both Google Home and Amazon Alexa, Official certification from Energy Star, Intertek, and CARB||Washable AOCTM Carbon Filter, True HEPA Filter, PlasmaWave® Air Cleaning Technology, Air Quality Indicator, Smart Sensors + Auto Mode, Ultra-Quiet, Light Automated Sleep Mode, Tested and Trusted: This unit is proven dependable and efficient by being AHAM Verified, Energy Star Certified, and UL Certified|
#1 Coway AP1512HH Mighty Air Purifier
- Model: Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier
- Price: $199.00 (Sale price)
- Dimensions: 16.8 x 18.3 x 9.6 inches
- Weight: 12.7 lbs
- Coverage: 361 sq. ft. (recommended)
- Filtration System: 4-stage filtration with pre-filter, deodorization filter, True HEPA filter, and bipolar ionizer
- CADR: Dust 246, Pollen 240, Smoke 233
- Noise Level: 24.4 dB to 53.8 dB
- Warranty: 3-year limited
How It Performed
The Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier is a compact yet powerful air purifier that effectively cleans the air in rooms up to 361 sq. ft. It uses a 4-stage filtration system, which includes a pre-filter, deodorization filter, True HEPA filter, and bipolar ionizer, to capture and reduce up to 99.97% of particles 0.3 microns in the air, including pollen, pollutants, and other allergens. In a 320 sq. ft. room test, the Coway AP-1512HH reduced the AQI from 148 to 6, improving the air quality by 96%.
The Coway AP-1512HH also Features real-time air quality monitoring, adjusting purification levels as needed. It has a timer setting for energy conservation and operates quietly, making it suitable for various environments.
- Compact size: The Coway AP-1512HH is small and lightweight, making it easy to move and fit in various spaces.
- Powerful filtration: The 4-stage filtration system effectively captures and reduces airborne contaminants.
- Real-time air quality monitoring: The pollution monitor adjusts purification levels based on air quality.
- Quiet operation: The air purifier operates quietly, making it suitable for bedrooms and other quiet spaces.
- Filter replacement cost: The replacement filters for the Coway AP-1512HH can be somewhat pricey, with an estimated annual cost of $111.
- Noise at highest setting: The air purifier can be noisy at its highest setting, reaching up to 53.8 dB.
Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier is a compact, powerful, and efficient air cleaner that effectively purifies the air in rooms up to 361 sq. ft. Its 4-stage filtration system, real-time air quality monitoring, and quiet operation make it a great choice for various environments. However, the cost of filter replacements and noise at the highest setting may be a concern for some users.
#2 Airmega 400S Air Purifier
The Airmega 400S Smart Air Purifier by Coway is a high-performance air purifier designed to effectively filter the air in rooms up to 1,560 square feet. It boasts a True HEPA H13 Filter that traps 99.97% of various airborne particles, including harmful gases, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), and odors. The device is also equipped with a smart feature that allows you to monitor and manage the air in your home, including indoor and outdoor air quality reports, remote control, and a scheduling function. It is compatible with both Google Home and Amazon Alexa, allowing you to activate pure air with a single breath. The Airmega 400S has official certification from Energy Star, Intertek, and CARB, ensuring its quality and performance.
The Airmega 400S is not the easiest purifier to use in its class, but it is well above average. It has a setup time, interface (remote and on-unit controls), customization (air-quality sensor and settings), and portability (dimensions, carrying handles, and weight). The device measures 14.8″ x 14.8″ x 22.8″ and weighs 24.7 lbs, making it one of the larger and heavier air purifiers on the market. However, its carrying handles make it fairly easy to move around the house.
How It Performed
The Airmega 400S is a class leader in air cleaning performance. Few models can filter air as thoroughly and at such a high rate while at the same time reducing odors such as smoke in the process. Independent assessments using a Dylos air monitor confirmed that it has one of the highest Clean Air Delivery Rates (CADR) in its class. The 400S reduced particulates from over 1500 to 220 in 30 minutes and down to 2 particles in 60 minutes. It also has a robust CADR.
While the Airmega 400S isn’t the quietest model in the class, it’s pretty close. The pitch is relatively natural and easily goes unnoticed. This assessment is all the more impressive when one considers how much clean air this machine moves and the size of the motor and fan required to do that work.
- High output: The Airmega 400S has a high output of approximately 430 CFM, meaning it can process a lot of air over and over again very quickly in smaller rooms and also properly service larger rooms.
- High-quality filters: it has a washable pre-filter, a true HEPA filter to get rid of particles, and a pellet-based carbon filter with more surface area to absorb VOCs and smells.
- Energy efficiency: The Airmega 400S is one of the most energy-efficient air purifiers on the market. At approximately 430 CFM, it draws only 60.5 watts of power.
- Runs quietly: Despite its high output, the Airmega 400S operates quietly, making it less disruptive in your home.
- Expensive: The biggest expense with the Airmega 400S is replacing the HEPA filter. The replacement filter set comes with two filters but is currently a little under $50 on Amazon, so it can be pricey to maintain.
- Large and heavy: The Airmega 400S is on the larger and heavier end of the spectrum for air purifiers, which may make it less portable.
The Airmega 400S is a top-end purifier that excels in larger areas while offering users a greater degree of control both on the unit and via the proprietary app. It provides superb air cleaning performance and quiet operation for a great overall experience. However, it does come with a high lifetime cost, making it a significant investment. If you have a large space and need an air purifier that can handle the job efficiently and quietly, the Airmega 400S is worth considering. Just keep in mind the ongoing cost of filter replacements.
#3 Winix HR900 Ultimate Pet True HEPA Air Purifier
- Model: Winix HR900 Ultimate Pet True HEPA Air Purifier
- Price: Varies (check retailers for current pricing)
- Dimensions: 16.3 x 9.6 x 23.6 inches
- Weight: 18.7 lbs
- Coverage: 300 sq. ft. (recommended)
- Filtration System: 5-stage filtration with Ultimate Pet Pre-filter, Fine Mesh Pre-filter, AOC Carbon Filter, True HEPA Filter, and PlasmaWave Technology
- CADR: Dust 200, Pollen 220, Smoke 194
- Noise Level: Up to 55.2 dB
- Warranty: 2-year limited
How It Performed
The Winix HR900 Ultimate Pet True HEPA Air Purifier is designed specifically for pet owners, targeting pet dander, hair, and odors. It Features a 5-stage filtration system, including an Ultimate Pet Pre-filter, a Fine Mesh Pre-filter, an AOC Carbon Filter, a True HEPA Filter, and PlasmaWave Technology. This air purifier can effectively clean rooms up to 300 sq. ft., capturing 99.97% of airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns, including pet dander, pollen, dust, and other allergens.
The HR900 also offers real-time air quality monitoring through its smart sensors and adjusts fan speed accordingly. It operates quietly, with noise levels up to 55.2 dB at its highest setting.
- Designed for pet owners: The HR900 targets pet dander, hair, and odors, making it ideal for pet owners.
- 5-stage filtration: The air purifier Features a comprehensive 5-stage filtration system for effective air cleaning.
- Real-time air quality monitoring: The smart sensors monitor air quality and adjust fan speed accordingly.
- Quiet operation: The HR900 operates quietly, making it suitable for various environments.
- Filter replacement cost: The replacement filters for the HR900 can be somewhat pricey, with an estimated annual cost of around $50.
- Noise at highest setting: The air purifier can be noisy at its highest setting, reaching up to 55.2 dB.
Winix HR900 Ultimate Pet True HEPA Air Purifier is an excellent choice for pet owners looking to improve their indoor air quality. Its 5-stage filtration system, real-time air quality monitoring, and quiet operation make it a great choice for various environments. However, the cost of filter replacements and noise at the highest setting may be a concern for some users.
In conclusion, when looking for effective air purifiers capable of reducing exposure to tobacco products, consider models built specifically for dealing with cigarette smoking addiction or smell removal, thanks to extensive research indicating toxic repercussions linked directly to smoking cigarettes indoors. Our list compiles the top-rated options available on the market today based on their ability to remove these toxins from your living space while helping to freshen up the air around you, keep your lungs healthy, and provide you with a smoke-free environment. So no matter which option you choose, investing in an air purifier is bound to make for cleaner, healthier indoor living!
What is the best air purifier for cigarette smoke in 2023?
Answer: The RabbitAir MinusA2 is considered to be one of the best air purifiers for cigarette smoke in 2023. It has a six-stage filtration system that effectively removes smoke, odor, and other harmful particles from the air.
Can an air purifier completely remove cigarette smoke?
Answer: While an air purifier can significantly reduce cigarette smoke in your home or office, it may not completely eliminate it. However, using an air purifier regularly can greatly improve indoor air quality and create a more pleasant environment overall.
How often do I need to replace the filters on my air purifier for cigarette smoke?
Answer: The frequency at which you need to replace your filters depends on several factors, including usage time, level of pollution in your environment, and filter type. In general, HEPA filters should be replaced every 6–12 months, while activated carbon filters should be replaced every 3–6 months for optimal performance against cigarette smoke.