Air purifiers have become a popular solution for individuals suffering from allergies. They work by filtering the air in your home, removing allergens and other harmful particles that can trigger allergic reactions. But how exactly do they do this? Let’s dive in.
How Air Purifiers Help with Allergies
- How they work: Air purifiers work by drawing in air from your environment and passing it through a series of filters. These filters trap and remove various allergens such as dust, pollen, pet dander, and mold spores, releasing cleaner air back into your room. For more on how air purifiers work, check out our comprehensive guide.
- Types of allergens they remove: Air purifiers can remove a wide range of allergens. This includes pollen, dust mites, pet dander, mold spores, and even certain bacteria and viruses. The type and size of allergens an air purifier can remove depend largely on its filter type.
- Importance of HEPA filters: High-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters are considered the gold standard in air purification. They can trap 99.97% of particles that are 0.3 microns or larger, making them extremely effective at removing allergens. For more on the benefits of HEPA filters, check out our detailed article.
Top Air Purifiers for Allergy Relief
|Coway Airmega AP-1512HH||$200||High performance, Smart mode, Air quality indicator, Filter replacement indicator, Timer||High filter replacement cost, Noisy at high speed|
|Honeywell HPA100 True HEPA Allergen Remover||$100||Equipped with a true HEPA filter, Reasonably priced replacement filters, Good for allergies||No innovative features mentioned|
|Levoit Core 300 Air Purifier||$100||High build quality, Extra filters, High airflow, Sleep mode decreases motor speed, True HEPA||No air quality sensor and auto mode|
When it comes to choosing an air purifier for allergy relief, there are several top contenders to consider.
Levoit Core 300 Air Purifier
The Levoit Core 300 Air Purifier is a compact and efficient device designed to improve the air quality in your home or office. It Features patented VortexAir Technology, which creates an air vortex to increase the purifier’s power and efficiency, distributing more clean air throughout the room. The device is thoughtfully designed to fit in any space and uses QuietKEAP™ Technology, which employs shock pads to reduce noise from the motor and increase abrasion resistance, thereby extending the motor’s life.
The Levoit Core 300 is a cylindrical-shaped air purifier with a cylindrical HEPA filter inside. The internal filter has a pre-filter layer on the outside, the HEPA filter, and an activated carbon 3rd filter layer. The layers are not replaced independently; when the filter is no longer working properly, a new filter is needed.
The device measures 8.7″ x 8.7″ x 14.2″ and weighs 7.5 lbs, making it easy to move from room to room. It produces a Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) of 140 CFM, operates between 24 and 50dB depending on the mode, and is rated for 45W of power.
How It Performed
The Levoit Core 300 stands out for its excellent air-purifying capabilities, particularly for its size. It’s easy to set up and user-friendly, offering some of the most customizable programming options of any of the models tested, including a sleep mode.
In terms of air cleaning performance, the Core 300 reduced the particulates in a 150-square-foot testing room to 16.7% of the original particulate matter after the first 30 minutes of operation. After 45 minutes, only 7.9% of the particulates were left. After a full hour, there were only.003% of measurable particulates left.
When set to high, the Core 300 produced 60 decibels, making it one of the louder machines tested. However, when set to medium and used for two hours, the Core 300 used.05 kilowatts, averaging out to cost about $15.00 per year.
- Excellent air-purifying capabilities: The Levoit Core 300 has excellent air-purifying capabilities, particularly for its size.
- User-friendly: It’s easy to set up and user-friendly, offering some of the most customizable programming options of any of the models tested, including a sleep mode.
- Affordable operating cost: When set to medium and used for two hours, the Core 300 used .05 kilowatts, averaging out to cost about $15.00 per year.
- Compact and portable: The device measures 8.7″ x 8.7″ x 14.2″ and weighs 7.5 lbs, making it easy to move from room to room.
- Noise level: When set to high, the Core 300 produced 60 decibels, making it one of the loudest machines tested.
- Filter replacement cost: The filter for the Levoit needs to be changed every six to eight months. With filter costs of $28 per filter, you could end up spending an additional $56 per year on filters.
The Levoit Core 300 offers consumers excellent value. It has a very reasonable MSRP for how much performance you get out of this little machine. If you are looking for an air purifier for a small room or simply don’t want to shell out more money for a more powerful device, the Levoit is a great choice.
Honeywell HPA100 True HEPA Allergen Remover
The Honeywell HPA100 True HEPA Allergen Remover is a medium-room air purifier, recommended for spaces up to 155 square feet. It is designed to capture up to 99.97% of airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns, making it an effective tool against allergens such as dust, pollen, pet dander, and smoke.
This air purifier is part of Honeywell’s Allergen Plus series and has earned the ENERGY STAR label by meeting strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the U.S. EPA. It Features 4 air cleaning levels, including a Turbo Clean setting, and is equipped with a filter change indicator and reset function.
The product dimensions are 13.94″D x 13.54″W x 8.9″H, and it is AHAM Certified, Energy Star Certified, and EPA Certified.
How It Performed
The Honeywell HPA100 has been praised for its performance in reducing airborne allergens and particles. In a test environment of approximately 150 sq. ft., the HPA100 took about 22 minutes to lower room particle concentration from 10,000 particles per cubic foot (particles 0.5 micron and larger) down to 1,000 particles per cubic foot.
This air purifier is equipped with a true HEPA filter for particle filtration and a carbon filter for gas filtration (VOCs, odors). However, it does not come with a separate dedicated pre-filter for removing large particles. Instead, the carbon filter doubles as a pre-filter.
The Honeywell HPA100 has several notable advantages. It is equipped with a true HEPA filter, which is a strong positive, especially considering its price point. It also has great portability, being very light and having handles on both sides. All control panel lights can be turned off for operating the unit in a dark room, and it has a black plastic exterior that keeps the unit looking clean. It also comes with a 5-year warranty, which is longer than most other air purifiers.
Despite its many advantages, the Honeywell HPA100 also has a few drawbacks. It has poor energy efficiency, with a high power draw considering the unit’s relatively low CFM. It also performed poorly in noise output tests, meaning the unit isn’t very quiet. Additionally, to service a 100 to 150 sq. ft. room, the HPA100 has to be set to maximum fan speed, at which point the unit is very loud and isn’t very energy efficient.
The Honeywell HPA100 True HEPA Allergen Remover is a solid choice for those seeking to improve the air quality in medium-sized rooms. It effectively captures a high percentage of airborne particles and allergens, and its true HEPA filter is a significant advantage. However, potential buyers should be aware of its high power draw and noise levels, particularly when operating at maximum fan speed. Despite these drawbacks, its performance, portability, and 5-year warranty make it a worthy consideration for those in need of an air purifier.
Coway Airmega AP-1512HH
The Coway Airmega AP-1512HH is a compact air purifier designed for medium-sized spaces. It has a powerful 4-stage filtration system that uses Coway True HEPA technology. This includes a pre-filter, deodorizing carbon filter, True HEPA filter, and a bipolar ionizer. The pre-filter captures large particles such as dust and pet hair, prolonging the lifetime of the other filters. The unit is capable of purifying a space of 361 ft² in 12.5 minutes, 874 ft² in 30 minutes, and 1,748 ft² in 60 minutes. The device also comes with filter alerts and steps to replace the Deodorization Filter & True HEPA Filter. The Coway Airmega AP-1512HH has been awarded “Top Pick” by Wirecutter, a New York Times Company, for 9 years running.
The Coway Airmega AP-1512HH measures 16.5 x 9.5 x 18.5 inches and weighs 12.7 lbs. It has a CADR (clean air delivery rate) of 240 CFM, which is on the higher end and provides enough power for most rooms up to 360 square feet. The device also Features an air quality indicator that changes color according to the indoor air pollution level in real time (Blue → Dark Purple → Red).
How It Performed
The Coway Airmega AP-1512HH provides exceptional air cleaning performance. In testing, it was able to eliminate almost 100% of the airborne particulates in a smoky testing room. It removed 99.32% of the airborne particles within half an hour, one of the fastest cleaning times observed. After an hour, it achieved a 99.84% reduction, one of the best marks of all the purifiers tested.
Despite its high performance, the Coway Airmega AP-1512HH operates quietly. On its high setting, it produces a medium-high hum that tends to fade into the background, making it suitable for use in a bedroom or living room. On its low setting, the device is virtually silent.
The Coway Airmega AP-1512HH is also user-friendly. It has a clean interface with buttons that allow you to cycle through fan speeds, turn the ionizer on and off, and set a one, four, or eight-hour off timer. Its fan settings include low, medium, high, and eco. It also includes a built-in air quality meter, allowing the fan speed to auto-adjust based on the surrounding air quality.
- Highly Efficient Filtration System: The Coway Airmega AP-1512HH Features a 4-stage filtration system that effectively captures large particles and reduces contaminants in the air.
- Quiet Operation: Despite its powerful performance, the device operates quietly, making it suitable for use in bedrooms or living rooms.
- User-Friendly Interface: The device has a clean, no-frills interface that is easy to navigate. It also includes a built-in air quality meter for automatic fan speed adjustment.
- Compact Size: Its compact size makes it perfect for medium-sized spaces, filtering the air in rooms up to 874ft².
- Award-Winning Performance: For nine years running, the device has received the “Top Pick” designation from Wirecutter, a New York Times Company.
- Average Odor Removal: The Coway Airmega AP-1512HH was not particularly effective at removing odors. While it did reduce the smoky smell in a testing room, the smell was still noticeable.
- Operating Cost: The operating cost of the device is average. While its high performance justifies the cost, there are more economical models available.
The Coway Airmega AP-1512HH is a powerful, compact, and user-friendly air purifier. Its 4-stage filtration system effectively reduces contaminants in the air, while its quiet operation makes it suitable for use in various settings. Despite its average odor removal and operating cost, its high performance and user-friendly Features make it a great choice for those seeking to improve their indoor air quality.
Choosing the Right Air Purifier for Your Needs
Choosing the right air purifier for your needs can be a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be. Here are some factors to consider.
Factors to Consider
- Room size: The size of the room you want to purify is a crucial factor. Air purifiers are designed to clean the air in a specific room size, measured in square feet. Make sure to choose an air purifier that’s suitable for your room size.
- Type of allergens: Different air purifiers are more effective at removing certain types of allergens. If you’re allergic to a specific allergen, like pet dander or pollen, look for an air purifier that’s effective at removing that allergen.
- Noise level: Some air purifiers can be quite noisy, especially on higher settings. If noise is a concern for you, look for an air purifier with a quiet operation mode.
- Price: Air purifiers can range in price from budget to premium. Consider your budget and the Features you need when choosing an air purifier.
- Additional Features: Some air purifiers come with additional Features like air quality sensors, eco modes, and smart capabilities. While these Features can be useful, they can also add to the cost of the air purifier.
Choosing the right air purifier for your needs can greatly improve your indoor air quality and help alleviate allergy symptoms. For more tips on choosing the right air purifier, check out our comprehensive guide.
Phew! That’s a lot of information to take in, but don’t worry, we’re here to help you make the best choice for your needs. Remember, the key is to consider your specific needs and choose an air purifier that meets those needs. Happy breathing!